Sunday 19 March 2017

The First IPL Session

I DID IT!

Okay. Not sure where the pride comes from, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Now, to answer the burning questions that I haven't found answers for elsewhere...(well, not all of them, anyway)

Did it hurt? (Okay, this is asked everywhere, but still...)

Nah. didn't hurt too badly. A little bit of a sting here and there, especially on the inner thighs, but it was tolerable. It feels like the sting of a rubber band snapped on your skin, as everyone says. To me, it feels more like...when you get a speck of burning oil on your skin while frying something, followed by a warm sensation as the heat spreads. I feel a little bit tingly now, but I've also applied aloe gel straight from the fridge, so that might be causing it. I didn't need to use any EMLA (lidocaine) cream and there's no redness.

How long did it take?

Well, because I'm a hairy Mary, I'd magically managed to grow hair overnight even though I shaved yesterday. There was visible stubble. I went ahead and used a foil razor head that came with my old epilator and dry-shaved any bits of stubble I could see before going ahead with the treatment. It took an hour and a half, maybe slightly longer for my full arms, full legs and nether regions. I have also found a NEW AWESOME WEAPON TO ADD TO MY ARSENAL!

What is this weapon you speak of?

Well, the internetz keep going on about the importance of NOT overlapping when doing any type of laser treatment. Plenty of people say otherwise, but seeing as it was my first time, I decided to err on the side of caution. I bought a...WHITE EYELINER PENCIL!

How is that a weapon?

Well, I could mark off sections as I did them, which was pretty nifty. They do say a pencil is mightier than a sword...definitely proved itself right in this respect. Totally worth the USD $3, though now I need to buy a sharpener...Also, the 30cm/12 inch ruler was excellent. About as wide as the head of the SmoothSkin Gold, so it marked off sections that were just wide enough.

Any other tips?

Don't let your cat sit there and watch the laser. I don't know how crappy his eyesight is because he's old, but it definitely has not improved after today. Also, when you're sitting around naked on your floor with the brightest lamp you have dangling above your head so you can see through those darned dark protective goggles, it doesn't help to know that the cat is just sitting there, silently judging you.

I just hope that this works. I'm so tired of being hairy. Also, BONUS PICTURE TIME! Check out the lines on my legs. I hated having to go sideways because of the lack of surface area...much easier to go up and down, like the smug people in the advertisements who roll these things up their leg like they're having the time of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment